Selling Part of My Childhood (Atari)
Foxx (in a box)
2011-01-18 01:41:31 UTC
I know this is the Dreamcast group but I also know many of you
appreciate vintage gaming. That said, I also have a DC question.
A local store here is willing to pay $30 for my 7800 and $20 for my
2600 (plus $1+ per game). My question is, is this a fair price? I
don't play either system any more and, though I don't really need the
money, the space would be nice. Anyone here interested for a similar
price?
That said, if I do sell it, there are a number of games I remember
really enjoying and don't believe have been ported to other systems.
Is there a decent Atari emulator for the DC? Is it still believed a CD
in a DC will lead to premature failure?
Your help in this decision is greatly appreciated. Thx.
Bill Kendrick
2011-01-18 18:33:53 UTC
Post by Foxx (in a box)
I know this is the Dreamcast group but I also know many of you
appreciate vintage gaming. That said, I also have a DC question.
A local store here is willing to pay $30 for my 7800 and $20 for my
2600 (plus $1+ per game). My question is, is this a fair price? I
don't play either system any more and, though I don't really need the
money, the space would be nice. Anyone here interested for a similar
price?
I can't really speak to how fair or not the price is.
Post by Foxx (in a box)
That said, if I do sell it, there are a number of games I remember
really enjoying and don't believe have been ported to other systems.
Is there a decent Atari emulator for the DC? Is it still believed a CD
in a DC will lead to premature failure?
I've done very little with my DC outside of playing the handful of games
I have for it. (And I got a steering wheel for Daytona USA again, so yay!)
However, I did play around with some of the homebrew stuff... a few of
my Linux games were ported to DC, so I have some CDROMs with them, mostly
just to show off. ;)

That said, Stella is a great emulator, and I'd be surprise if it weren't
ported to the DC. While I have a 7800 and a Flashback II, I'm an
really more of an Atari 8-bit computer enthusiast, so I checked out the
port of Atari800 to the DC, which was alright... but basically trying to
emulate a computer without a keyboard gets frustrating really quickly. ;)

I imagine something like Stella would be more user friendly.

The 7800s seem hard to come by, so when you get rid of it, make sure
you won't regret it. ;) (I had one over a decade ago, but the only
ProSystem game I had was Galaga, which wasn't a very good port, compared
to the NES version that I also had, and the PlayStation version that came
out shortly afterr. So I got rid of it, but was given another one, plus
a bunch of games, a couple of years ago. At that point, I got rid of
the Atari 2600jr I had been using for 2600 gaming, and it works great.)

BTW, if you have a PlayStation 2 handy, there are a couple of good 2600
collections: Activision Anthology (~50 games) & Atari Anthology (~70 games).

Enjoy!
--
-bill!
Sent from my computer
Doctor Clu
2011-04-01 21:57:03 UTC
Post by Bill Kendrick
Post by Foxx (in a box)
That said, if I do sell it, there are a number of games I remember
really enjoying and don't believe have been ported to other systems.
Is there a decent Atari emulator for the DC? Is it still believed a CD
in a DC will lead to premature failure?
Not really.
Post by Bill Kendrick
I've done very little with my DC outside of playing the handful of games
I have for it. (And I got a steering wheel for Daytona USA again, so yay!)
However, I did play around with some of the homebrew stuff... a few of
my Linux games were ported to DC, so I have some CDROMs with them, mostly
just to show off. ;)
Driving games were fun on the DC. I was more of a light gun gamer
myself. Just LOVE those games. House of the Dead, Confidential
Mission, etc. But even more so, I play Little Green Army Men.
Post by Bill Kendrick
That said, Stella is a great emulator, and I'd be surprise if it weren't
ported to the DC. While I have a 7800 and a Flashback II, I'm an
really more of an Atari 8-bit computer enthusiast, so I checked out the
port of Atari800 to the DC, which was alright... but basically trying to
emulate a computer without a keyboard gets frustrating really quickly. ;)
Then get a keyboard for the Dreamcast.

You know I requested for Christian, the developer of Atari800DC, to add
serial functions. So if you get a developer cable it apparently works
fun. :)
Post by Bill Kendrick
I imagine something like Stella would be more user friendly.
Stella on the DC is good too. I made a disk of all the Atari emulators
(2600 (Stella), 5200/800 (Atari800DC), Lynx (Handy), and I might have
tinkered with the 7800 emu.

Atari ST (Steem) and Lynx were a bit slow, but good. Atari 2600 is spot
on, and the Atari800DC is so good I used the DC to play 5200 games in
the Atariage high score clubs there for a while.

I even hacked a Atari joystick to work on the Dreamcast. :)
Post by Bill Kendrick
The 7800s seem hard to come by, so when you get rid of it, make sure
you won't regret it. ;) (I had one over a decade ago, but the only
ProSystem game I had was Galaga, which wasn't a very good port, compared
to the NES version that I also had, and the PlayStation version that came
out shortly afterr. So I got rid of it, but was given another one, plus
a bunch of games, a couple of years ago. At that point, I got rid of
the Atari 2600jr I had been using for 2600 gaming, and it works great.)
Once I got a 7800 it was all over for the 2600. I got a Cuttle Cart for
the 7800 and enjoy both libraries for both on the 7800.

Now to just get a good working light gun for the 7800....

. . Doctor Clu (member of...)
)\_,/ THE PRISON BOARD BBS 972-329-0781 / telnet://rdfig.net
'(<)(<) VISIT ATARI COMPUTERS ONLINE VISITED BY OTHER ATARI COMPUTERS
( \____ ) /|\ ATARI Computer BBS list /|\ (X at main menu then A)
Doctor Clu
2011-04-01 21:57:27 UTC
Post by Foxx (in a box)
I know this is the Dreamcast group but I also know many of you
appreciate vintage gaming. That said, I also have a DC question.
A local store here is willing to pay $30 for my 7800 and $20 for my
2600 (plus $1+ per game). My question is, is this a fair price? I
don't play either system any more and, though I don't really need the
money, the space would be nice. Anyone here interested for a similar
price?
That said, if I do sell it, there are a number of games I remember
really enjoying and don't believe have been ported to other systems.
Is there a decent Atari emulator for the DC? Is it still believed a CD
in a DC will lead to premature failure?
Your help in this decision is greatly appreciated. Thx.
To answer the question, out in the wild and at a store, that is not a
bad offer. I know of gaming stores that will pay that much, because
basically the game system will probably sell for like $35-$40 and the
cartridges will sell for $2-$3 a piece. Stores will only buy at like
1/4 of the worth if that, so not a bad offer.

And if you don't play it anyway, just more money for you! By now you
have probably done this, so a little retrospect on the sell.