And now Dreamcast is TEN years old today
parallax-scroll
2008-11-26 22:51:09 UTC
Dreamcast launched in Japan on November 27th, 1998.

I cannot believe Mega Drive is 20 years old, and now Dreamcast is 10.

Dreamcast was a great system that started the previous generation of
consoles
(DC/PS2/GCN/Xbox).

Before the Dreamcast came out though, I had been expecting a Saturn
2 with PowerPC CPU and a Real3D GPU from Lockheed Martin with more
power than the MODEL 3 board (but the same family of tech), and that
could've been used as a MODEL 4 board, instead of NAOMI. I was kinda
disappointed when Sega went with Videologic/NEC PowerVR instead of
Lockheed Real3D, but it was a better choice than 3Dfx, without a
doubt.

Dreamcast had alot of great games (Soul Calibur, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi,
Skies of Arcadia, PSO)
but it wasn't enough to stop the PS2 war machine.
The alMIGHTY N
2008-11-27 04:24:29 UTC
Post by parallax-scroll
Dreamcast launched in Japan on November 27th, 1998.
I cannot believe Mega Drive is 20 years old, and now Dreamcast is 10.
Dreamcast was a great system that started the previous generation of
consoles
(DC/PS2/GCN/Xbox).
The Dreamcast was one of the best systems of all time. I was terribly
disappointed when Sega pulled out of the hardware business.
Post by parallax-scroll
Before the Dreamcast came out though,  I had been expecting a Saturn
2  with PowerPC CPU and a Real3D GPU from Lockheed Martin  with more
power than the MODEL 3 board (but the same family of tech), and that
could've been used as a MODEL 4 board, instead of NAOMI.   I was kinda
disappointed when Sega went with Videologic/NEC PowerVR instead of
Lockheed Real3D, but it was a better choice than 3Dfx, without a
doubt.
Dreamcast had alot of great games (Soul Calibur, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi,
Skies of Arcadia, PSO)
but it wasn't enough to stop the PS2 war machine.
Most importantly, the Dreamcast didn't have EA Sports - specifically,
Madden.
math_guy
2008-12-09 22:40:00 UTC
Post by parallax-scroll
I cannot believe Mega Drive is 20 years old, and now Dreamcast is 10.
For me, the Dreamcast won't be ten years old until next September 9.

9.9.99...Best. Launch date. Ever! ;)

Sean
Jordan
2009-01-12 06:58:12 UTC
Post by math_guy
For me, the Dreamcast won't be ten years old until next September 9.
9.9.99...Best.  Launch date.  Ever!  ;)
I guess it depends on how you count:

Japanese launch - November 27, 1998.

- Jordan
e***@pop.uky.edu
2008-12-10 22:01:53 UTC
Post by parallax-scroll
I cannot believe Mega Drive is 20 years old, and now Dreamcast is 10.
In the same sense that Emily Dickinson just celebrated her 178th
birthday, then yes.

But in another more important sense, it's fucking irrelevant because
they both actually died a long time ago.
Scrub
2008-12-11 06:48:56 UTC
Post by parallax-scroll
I cannot believe Mega Drive is 20 years old, and now Dreamcast is 10.
In the same sense that Emily Dickinson just celebrated her 178th
birthday, then yes.

But in another more important sense, it's fucking irrelevant because
they both actually died a long time ago.

-----------------------------------

Well I still use my dreamcast every now and my megadrive so they arent
completely dead :p

Dale
Scott H
2008-12-16 14:23:47 UTC
Post by e***@pop.uky.edu
Post by parallax-scroll
I cannot believe Mega Drive is 20 years old, and now Dreamcast is 10.
In the same sense that Emily Dickinson just celebrated her 178th
birthday, then yes.
But in another more important sense, it's fucking irrelevant because
they both actually died a long time ago.
-----------------------------------
Well I still use my dreamcast every now and my megadrive so they arent
completely dead :p
Dale
Since Headhunter, Omikron the Nomad Soul, and TMNT Hyperstone Heist and
Golden Axe on Genesis have been regularly taking me away from Tenchu Z,
Virtua Fighter 5 and Golden Axe Beast Rider, "dead" seems to be an
irrelevant term.
--
-
Scott
www.gamepilgrimage.com
m***@lycos.com
2009-01-10 21:07:00 UTC
Post by Scott H
Post by e***@pop.uky.edu
Post by parallax-scroll
I cannot believe Mega Drive is 20 years old, and now Dreamcast is 10.
In the same sense that Emily Dickinson just celebrated her 178th
birthday, then yes.
But in another more important sense, it's fucking irrelevant because
they both actually died a long time ago.
-----------------------------------
Well I still use my dreamcast every now and my megadrive so they arent
completely dead :p
Dale
Since Headhunter, Omikron the Nomad Soul, and TMNT Hyperstone Heist and
Golden Axe on Genesis have been regularly taking me away from Tenchu Z,
Virtua Fighter 5 and Golden Axe Beast Rider, "dead" seems to be an
irrelevant term.
--
-
Scottwww.gamepilgrimage.com
Dude, I am *so* due for a spin of Record of Lodoss Wars. Especially
since Alien Syndrome PSP is boring me stiff.

Aside from that and Jet Set/Grind Radio, I'm struggling to think of
any DC games that I can't replace on one of my newer systems (Power
Stone, Street Fighter 3, etc.)

Terrence Briggs, PSP-only gamer, for now
Peace to you...
Scott H
2009-01-11 20:22:59 UTC
Post by m***@lycos.com
Post by Scott H
-
Scottwww.gamepilgrimage.com
Dude, I am *so* due for a spin of Record of Lodoss Wars. Especially
since Alien Syndrome PSP is boring me stiff.
Aside from that and Jet Set/Grind Radio, I'm struggling to think of
any DC games that I can't replace on one of my newer systems (Power
Stone, Street Fighter 3, etc.)
Well, I still haven't been able to get myself to play games portably. I
was perfectly happy with my DS but never played it. I don't have to
think about how much my hands move while I play console games. Aside
from that, I would take any DC original over a port. There is simply no
replacing DC games in 1080i on my 40" RPTV, and there is absolutely no
gaming controller out there today as precise as the DC gamepad.
Post by m***@lycos.com
Terrence Briggs, PSP-only gamer, for now
Peace to you...
*shudders*

-
Scott
Ted
2009-01-12 01:40:19 UTC
***@lycos.com wrote:
snip
Post by m***@lycos.com
Aside from that and Jet Set/Grind Radio, I'm struggling to think of
any DC games that I can't replace on one of my newer systems (Power
Stone, Street Fighter 3, etc.)
Terrence Briggs, PSP-only gamer, for now
Peace to you...
I find Powerstone on PSP to be a poor replacement for the DC version.

Other great DC only games (barring arcade releases): Seaman in English,
Ooga Booga, Demolition Racer No Exit, Sega Bass Fishing, Sega Marine
Fishing (the newer SBFs are not replacements, tho I h/n tried th Wii
version), Tech Romancer, Toy Commander...
Zomoniac
2009-01-12 09:19:32 UTC
Post by m***@lycos.com
Aside from that and Jet Set/Grind Radio, I'm struggling to think of
any DC games that I can't replace on one of my newer systems (Power
Stone, Street Fighter 3, etc.)
Shenmue?
Zo
J.Lutke (NL)
Can't agree more with Scott :)
AGENT47
2009-11-16 14:47:20 UTC
Post by Scott H
Post by e***@pop.uky.edu
Post by parallax-scroll
I cannot believe Mega Drive is 20 years old, and now Dreamcast is 10.
In the same sense that Emily Dickinson just celebrated her 178th
birthday, then yes.
But in another more important sense, it's fucking irrelevant because
they both actually died a long time ago.
-----------------------------------
Well I still use my dreamcast every now and my megadrive so they arent
completely dead :p
Dale
Since Headhunter, Omikron the Nomad Soul, and TMNT Hyperstone Heist and
Golden Axe on Genesis have been regularly taking me away from Tenchu Z,
Virtua Fighter 5 and Golden Axe Beast Rider, "dead" seems to be an
irrelevant term.
--
-
Scott
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Can't agree more with Scott :)- Hide quoted text -
I found my old DreamCast in my mother's garage the other day .
Bill Kendrick
2009-11-16 22:46:24 UTC
Post by AGENT47
I found my old DreamCast in my mother's garage the other day .
I got a DC after it was a dead platform, but it's hooked up to my
living room TV, along with all of my other systems:

* Sony PS2 slim
* Atari 7800
* NES
* Genesis (newest addition to the family; thanks, in-laws!)
* Jaguar (my toddler occasionally falls asleep to music + VLM)
* Atari 800XL

Well, not counting the handhelds floating around the house.

Sadly, I don't have too many games for the DC, but the ones I have
I like. I can't believe I went without Daytona USA for so long.
(And DAMNIT, I can't believe I let my wife convince me to get rid
of the DC driving controllers a friend had given me. ARGH)
--
-bill!
Sent from my computer
Scott H
2009-11-17 16:54:43 UTC
Post by Bill Kendrick
Post by AGENT47
I found my old DreamCast in my mother's garage the other day .
I got a DC after it was a dead platform, but it's hooked up to my
* Sony PS2 slim
* Atari 7800
* NES
* Genesis (newest addition to the family; thanks, in-laws!)
* Jaguar (my toddler occasionally falls asleep to music + VLM)
* Atari 800XL
Well, not counting the handhelds floating around the house.
Sadly, I don't have too many games for the DC, but the ones I have
I like. I can't believe I went without Daytona USA for so long.
(And DAMNIT, I can't believe I let my wife convince me to get rid
of the DC driving controllers a friend had given me. ARGH)
The only good TV is a TV with at least that many game consoles hooked up
at once!
--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com