Dreamcast 10 year anniversary
Ted
2009-09-09 14:58:39 UTC
Sure, it's only the US anniversary, and even then it's only the "for
sale in the US" anniversary since Hollywood Video had been renting the
systems during the summer. And sure, I had my Dreamcast and a few games
in the week before 9/9/99 for reviewing, but c'mon, it's a bunch of 9s
today.
Kendrick Kerwin Chua
2009-09-09 16:21:49 UTC
Post by Ted
Sure, it's only the US anniversary, and even then it's only the "for
sale in the US" anniversary since Hollywood Video had been renting the
systems during the summer. And sure, I had my Dreamcast and a few games
in the week before 9/9/99 for reviewing, but c'mon, it's a bunch of 9s
today.
As much as I would like to commemorate the event, it's being drowned out
by the launch of the Beatles licensed properties and other non-gaming
anniversaries. I have a hard time justifying talking about it, given that
there's no chance of winning over any new Sega fans in the process.

I don't mean to be all gloomy about it. It's be different if Sega (or a
committed third party) had seen fit to keep it on the market for its whole
potential lifespan, instead of pulling the Dreamcast out from where the
giant monster truck tires of the Xbox and PS2 were rolling. As its stands,
I'm comfortable enjoying my Dreamcast today privately.

-KKC, who may have just bought an unused copy of the Castlevania Double
Pack.
--
-- "Very long easy right, | kendrick @ |
baby!" | io . com | http://www.io.com/~kkc
BelPowerslave
2009-09-09 16:32:04 UTC
Post by Kendrick Kerwin Chua
Post by Ted
Sure, it's only the US anniversary, and even then it's only the "for
sale in the US" anniversary since Hollywood Video had been renting the
systems during the summer. And sure, I had my Dreamcast and a few games
in the week before 9/9/99 for reviewing, but c'mon, it's a bunch of 9s
today.
As much as I would like to commemorate the event, it's being drowned out
by the launch of the Beatles licensed properties and other non-gaming
anniversaries. I have a hard time justifying talking about it, given that
there's no chance of winning over any new Sega fans in the process.
Yup, yup....but don't worry, Radeon will be here in less than 10 seconds
to spam *all* of the videogame usenet groups with it...so, we'll be
hearing some awesome replies like "Taht system sucked" or "I still think
my PS2 is better". It's gonna rock!!!
Post by Kendrick Kerwin Chua
I don't mean to be all gloomy about it. It's be different if Sega (or a
committed third party) had seen fit to keep it on the market for its whole
potential lifespan, instead of pulling the Dreamcast out from where the
giant monster truck tires of the Xbox and PS2 were rolling. As its stands,
I'm comfortable enjoying my Dreamcast today privately.
Agreed.

Bel

PS: Top 10 DC Games Countdown:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/top-10-screwattack/55604

Short, but fun...
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Maybe you should go back home, when you get to a strange town.
There might be someone strange who comes looking for you."
- Paseo villager, Phantasy Star II
Relic
2009-09-10 04:03:27 UTC
Post by Ted
Sure, it's only the US anniversary, and even then it's only the "for
sale in the US" anniversary since Hollywood Video had been renting the
systems during the summer. And sure, I had my Dreamcast and a few games
in the week before 9/9/99 for reviewing, but c'mon, it's a bunch of 9s
today.
I played with a few old friends today on my launch DC (still hooked up
of course)...Mars Matrix, Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Project Justice.
Still just as fun as when I got them years ago.
Scott H
2009-09-12 03:15:53 UTC
Post by Ted
Sure, it's only the US anniversary, and even then it's only the "for
sale in the US" anniversary since Hollywood Video had been renting the
systems during the summer. And sure, I had my Dreamcast and a few games
in the week before 9/9/99 for reviewing, but c'mon, it's a bunch of 9s
today.
I'm torn, I honestly am. On the one hand, I haven't played a racing
game outside of Outrun 2/2006/XBLA since the Dreamcast was plugged. I
just can't get a grip on playing a racing game with a controller that is
less than half as sensitive as the Dreamcast's *analog stick and
triggers*. I have even found that rigging a gamepad for playing a PC
FPS works *much better* with the Dreamcast gamepad than the PS2 or 360
gamepads. That is because, despite the "dual analog" moniker of these
two later gamepads, the Dreamcast controller actually has at least twice
the degree of sensitivity in the analog stick and analog triggers.

On the other hand, what the Dreamcast might have been ended up being the
PS2, XBOX and Gamecube. I like competition as much as the next
intellectually honest consumer. When Sega was in its hayday, 1992-1994,
I generally found that their offerings to th market as a game maker was
significantly decreased. So, even though we might have had the awesome
Dreamcast carry an entire generation, Sony stole most of its thunder and
Microsoft snagged the rest. Ah well.
--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com
Scott H
2009-09-12 03:22:59 UTC
Post by Scott H
On the other hand, what the Dreamcast might have been ended up being the
PS2, XBOX and Gamecube. I like competition as much as the next
intellectually honest consumer. When Sega was in its hayday, 1992-1994,
I generally found that their offerings to th market as a game maker was
significantly decreased. So, even though we might have had the awesome
Dreamcast carry an entire generation, Sony stole most of its thunder and
Microsoft snagged the rest. Ah well.
That last paragraph needed some corrections that I could not let go.
'th' should be 'the' in the third sentence. Also, 'Sony' and
'Microsoft' should have read 'anti-competitive corporation #2' and
'anti-competitive corporation #1' respectively.